Recovering a formatted or corrupt Kindle 2

One day, while playing around with a Kindle 2, I accidentally deleted the /lib folder. Oops. Now, no command beyond “ls” and “rm” work. If this was a computer, I could have simply inserted a installation DVD and copied the files over, but this was an eBook reader, and I was in for a world of pain. This was a month ago, and I’ve finally recovered the Kindle. I’m posting what I did online to save anyone else who’s in the same boat a ton of time. This tutorial is only designed for the Kindle 2, but it MAY work for the DX. It will NOT work for the Kindle 3, but directions should be similar.

Continue reading

Quickguide: Bypassing Lenovo S10 BIOS Whitelist

Lenovo loves to assert their dominance to you by whitelisting what WWAN (3G modem) card you can install in your laptop. There has been a way to bypass or remove the whitelist on most models, except the S10. Now I found a great guide here: http://www.sbbala.com/DellWWAN/Whitelist.htm that shows you how the remove the whitelist, but as many found out, it doesn’t always work. The problem is that… well, I don’t know what the problem is, but I’m guessing there’s additional checks. I’ve been trying to find the format of the S10 whitelist, but I’m having no luck, so we’ll do it the easy way. Brute force. Put your WWAN card into every whitelist entry. It’ll have to work then, right?

Continue reading

Kindle 3.1 Jailbreak

I was bored one weekend and decided to jailbreak the new Kindle firmware. It was time consuming to find bugs, but not difficult. Unlike the iPhone, the Kindle doesn’t really have security. They have a verified FS and signed updates and that’s it, but I will still call my jailbreak an “exploit” just to piss you off. Previous Kindle 3 jailbreaks worked (AFAIK, I haven’t really looked into it) by tricking the Kindle into running a custom script by redirecting a signed script using a syslink. This worked because the updater scans only “files” that do not end with “.sig” (signature files to validate the file). They fixed this now by scanning all non-directorys that do no end with “.sig”. This is the first bug I’ve exploited. Part one is getting the files into the update, which I did by conventionally renaming them to “.sig” even though they’re not signature files. Part two is harder, getting the unsigned script to run.

Continue reading

Creating a PSP FreeCheat Memory Patch

FreeCheat is a memory editor and cheat device (like Action Replay) for the PSP. It includes features like a live in-game memory viewer and searcher. One of the feature that intrigued me is the memory patcher. I had no idea what it does, but I assume it does what it says: patches the memory. Problem is: I’ve searched everywhere, but there seems to be no information on how to create a FreeCheat memory patch for the PSP (only .pat files for Monster Hunter). Well, it’s not that hard. After some trial and error, I’ve found out how to create a FreeCheat .pat memory patch. Note that the following should only be attempted by a person with enough technical knowledge to understand it.

Continue reading