Unlocking T-Mobile 4G Hotspot (ZTE MF61): A case study

So, I have one of these MiFi clone from T-Mobile and want to unlock it to use on AT&T (I know that AT&T 4G/3G isn’t supported, but I thought maybe I could fix that later). The first thing I tried to do was contact T-Mobile, as they are usually very liberal concerning unlock codes. However, this time, T-Mobile (or, as they claim, the manufacture) isn’t so generous. So I’ve decided to take it upon myself to do it. I will write down the entire procedure here as a case study on how to “reverse engineer” a new device. However, in no way do I consider myself an expert, so feel free to bash me in the comments on what I did wrong. Also, I have decided against releasing any binaries or patches because phone unlocking is a grey area (although it is legal here), but if you read along you should be able to repeat what I did, even though I will also try to generalize.

Continue reading

Playstation Vita’s USB MTP Connection Analyzed

This is the first of (hopefully) many posts on the PS Vita. Before I attempt anything drastic with the device, such as getting unsigned code to run, I hope I can try something easy (well, easier) to get used to the device. Ultimately, I want to make a content manager for the PS Vita for Linux. Unlike the PSP, the Vita does not export the memory card as a USB storage device, but instead relies on their custom application to copy content to and from the device. This post will give just a peek into how the communication between the Vita and the PC works.

Continue reading

Welcome to the new yifan.lu!

It’s a new year, and I’m a bit tired of the old design. There were some main problems with it besides the looks though. The biggest one is I never wrote a backend for my “projects” list, so every time I add a new project, I’m doing it manually by uploading the files via FTP and adding the entry in phpmyadmin. In addition, I’m sure there were tons of PHP bugs and security holes that I had in the old script. The old theme was also badly coded with many HTML errors and many Wordpress incompatibilities.

Continue reading

Reversing the Xperia Play emulator (part deux)

The last time we spoke, I managed to run any PSX game on the Xperia Play by redirecting some function calls. Well, since then Sony (you could say) fixed it (still don’t know how, I should look into it one day, I’m guessing they revoked the certificates for Crash Bandicoot) and people running Android 2.3.4 on the Xperia Play can’t use PSXPeria anymore. I’ve re-patched it a while ago, but never got the chance to modify the patching tool to use the new method (I really hate Java and don’t want to use it, so I held back.) until today. As customary to my releases, I will begin by telling more than what you want to know about how it works.

Continue reading