It’s been about a year since I revealed the first userland Vita exploit and I still occasionally get messages asking “what happened” (not much) or “when can I play my downloaded games” (hopefully never) or “I want homebrew” (me too). While I don’t have anything new exploitwise (same problems as before: no open SDK, lack of interest in the development community, lack of time on my part), I do want to take the time and go over why it’s taking so long.
More than a year ago, I’ve analyzed how the Vita communicates with the computer. I mentioned at the end that I started a project that will be an open source implementation of the protocol that the Vita uses. This protocol is just MTP (media transfer protocol) with some additional commands that I had to figure out. MTP is used by most Windows supported media players and cameras, so I was able to use a lot of existing code from libmtp and gphoto2. After lots of on and off work, I am happy to announce the first (beta) version of libVitaMTP and OpenCMA.
Earlier this year, I got my hands on the T-Mobile 4G Sonic Hotspot and as always, had to tear it apart as soon as I got it. I never wrote about it because I didn’t find anything overly interesting, but now it’s the end of the year, and I need to clear some inventory from my brain. If anyone remembers my post on the (older) T-Mobile 4G Hotspot (sans “Sonic”), the main limitation of that device was that the processor is an obscure one that required some digging to get information on. Thankfully, the Sonic variety is much easier to break into.
Sorry that it’s been a while since I’ve said anything about the Vita. I was caught by surprise the last time of all the media attention from just a simple call for help. While I still don’t want to say too much right now, I do want to answer some common questions I’ve been getting and also go over what needs to be done.
For the last couple of weeks I’ve been trying to get unsigned code running on the Vita. Although I haven’t succeeded yet, I’m happy to say I’ve made some progress.