One more thing: custom recovery kernel for Kindle 3

I didn’t plan to do any more Kindle stuff for a while, but when I made a recovery kernel (prevents your Kindle from bricking) for the Kindle 2/DX as part of my 3.X installer, many asked for a similar protective thing on newer Kindles. Well, here it is.

For now it’s just a kernel with recovery features (export entire filesystem without password or serial port and install custom recovery packages), but maybe if I have the time, one day, I will make it a full custom kernel with additional features or something.

Kindle 3.1 Jailbreak

I was bored one weekend and decided to jailbreak the new Kindle firmware. It was time consuming to find bugs, but not difficult. Unlike the iPhone, the Kindle doesn’t really have security. They have a verified FS and signed updates and that’s it, but I will still call my jailbreak an “exploit” just to piss you off. Previous Kindle 3 jailbreaks worked (AFAIK, I haven’t really looked into it) by tricking the Kindle into running a custom script by redirecting a signed script using a syslink. This worked because the updater scans only “files” that do not end with “.sig” (signature files to validate the file). They fixed this now by scanning all non-directorys that do no end with “.sig”. This is the first bug I’ve exploited. Part one is getting the files into the update, which I did by¬†conventionally¬†renaming them to “.sig” even though they’re not signature files. Part two is harder, getting the unsigned script to run. Continue reading